First off I want to state that this is not a supported EMC “product” or setup. This was done with an idea from David Payne at an Avamar User Group and a solution I came up with. I don’t know how well it scales, but thought it was a pretty cool idea/concept.
Ok with that being said the whole idea of this post is to show you how you can setup web based access to Avamar’s backups. The objectives I was trying to achieve are:
· Provide file level access to Avamar Backups
· Do not open AvFS/Samba access to all workstations/subnets (basically have a proxy)
· Provide an “easy to use” web based interface
· Provide search capabilities
· Provide RBAC via Active Directory
· Low to no cost
With this solution I have been able to accomplish all of these except the search capabilities (it works, but on a very limited basis so I consider it non-existent and even remove it from the web interface). Let’s get on with it.